Monday, January 25, 2016

Use It Up - Weekly Roundup

Vegetable Stock
This week, we've paid more attention to what food is in our pantries and fridges and how we can use up that food before it's destined for the trash. One of our favourite ways to use up vegetable scraps is to throw it together in a stock. If I don't have enough vegetables for stock, I'll add what I have to a container and put it in the freezer for later. I add in a whole onion, skin on, for beautiful amber coloured broth, along with peppercorns and 2-3 bay leaves. Cover with water and simmer for 60 minutes and strain.

This beautiful broth was perfect for a hearty dinner of mushroom risotto for our Meatless Monday with enough broth leftover for the freezer.

Other dwindling food recycling in our week looked like this:

  • Expensive figs for a cheese platter went unused and shriveling in the back of the fridge. I diced them up, added onions, garlic, sage, thyme and a splash of balsamic vinegar. This was the sauce with panfried pork chops. 
  • Red pears were also purchased for the cheese platter and with the indulgence of New Years, I forgot all about them. Hidden in the crisper, I realized it was now or never. The overripe and tough skins were peeled and the pears were perfect in a pot of porridge. 
  • Our passion for grapefruit suddenly waned and I had at least 6 grapefruits close to rotting. One idea was to make a grapefruit curd - eggs, butter, sugar and grapefruit juice and zest - but I was out of unsalted butter. Instead, I juiced all the grapefruits and added that juice, some zest and some grated ginger to my green tea kombucha 
  • Broccoli two ways: the stalks I mulched in the food processor and added to a large pot of tomato sauce and the florets, I added to a fritatta. 
  • We bought feta cheese for a specific recipe and never gave it another thought. For a quick supper, we made a pepper, onion, broccoli and spinach frittata with feta. Fritattas are a fantastic way to be creative with vegetables and cheese and it cooks within minutes. Here are some great tips for the perfect frittata. 
Grapefruit and Ginger Kombucha

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...