Friday, January 21, 2011

Dark Days Challenge #7 - While I Siesta'd I dreamed of a Fiesta!

This is another one of those "I have made fire moments": I took a simple craving for bold, exotic flavours and worked them into a Dark Days meal.

When I started the 100 Mile Challenge, I assumed it would be variations on a turkey dinner theme - root vegetables mashed or roasted and some sort of meat roasted or stewed. I assumed it would be the same flavours over and over again, mostly savoury and sage. Then one day while napping, I had a brilliant idea (if I do say so myself): I could easily make everything for turkey fajitas. I have cheese, sour cream, shredded cooked turkey from our Epiphany feast, canned chipotle salsa, jacob's cattle beans, frozen whole jalapenos and flour. Those are your basic ingredients for a Fiesta of flavors.

Refried Beans in the Crock Pot
I began by making my version of "refried beans" following this All Recipes. I highly recommend reducing the salt from 5 tsp down to 2 tsp. Once the beans were cooked, I put them through the food mill and it came out tasting and looking exactly like refried beans.

"Refried" Jacob's Cattle Beans


For the tortillas, I used this recipe for Homemade Flour Tortillas and used butter instead of lard. Fresh, they were soft and pliable but after an hour or so, they dried out even after being in a plastic bag and they became hard like crackers. We may spread the ingredients over it as a pizza for leftovers. 

Pan Fried Tortillas

The finished product was delicious with bright and bold flavours from the spicy beans to the sprightly salsa. Making the beans a couple days ahead saved me time, so it was a relatively fast meal to prepare and serve. Enjoy!

Turkey Fajitas with Chioptle Salsa

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...